The 2012 Lethbridge Hurricanes Training Camp at the ENMAX Centre wrapped up on Thursday with the vets and rookies separated for practice and scrimmages for the last time.
The day kicked off with the 96 and 97-born players from Team Red and Team Blue squaring off in a game that saw 13 goals scored. After jumping out to a 1-0 lead, Canes 2012 Draft pick Josh Hayward scored a pair of goals less than 5 minutes apart to open up a 3-0 cushion for Team Blue, but Reid Nemeth would get the Red squad on board before the first period was done. Starting in goal for Team Blue was Jonny Hogue who stopped 15 of the 16 shots he faced while Ryan Ferguson got the start at the other end. The goals came fast and furious in the 2nd. Ryan Pilon spotted Tyler Wong just three and a half minutes in making it a 3-2 game, but Blue would restore the 2 goal lead on an unassisted marker from last year’s 25th overall pick (2nd round) Kolten Olynek. The two sides would trade the next 5 goals and then Team Red would add a pair of in the final two minutes to make it a 7-6 game, but that’s as close as they’d get. Final shots on goal were 38-22 for Team Red and both Kolten Olynek (1G, 3A) and Jackson McKinstry (2G, 2A) both had 4 points in the game.
1. Team Blue: Andrew McLennan (Kolten Olynek, Keven Moreau) 15:49
2. Team Blue: Josh Hayward (Jackson McKinstry) 16:25
3. Team Blue: Josh Hayward (Jackson McKinstry, Kolten Olynek) 21:00
4. Team Red: Reid Nemeth (unassisted) 23:10
5. Team Red: Tyler Wong (Ryan Pilon) 3:31
6. Team Blue: Kolten Olynek (unassisted) 4:01
7. Team Blue: Andrew McLennan (Kade Jensen) 6:50
8. Team Red: Mik Doell (Giorgio Estephan) 7:40
9. Team Blue: Jackson McKinstry (Kolten Olynek) 18:44
10. Team Red: Mik Doell (unassisted) 19:40
11: Team Blue: Jackson McKinstry (Phoenix Worth, Andrew McLennan) 21:46
12: Team Red: Jesse Zaharichuk (Josh Read) 23:07
13: Team Red: Ryan Pilon (Mik Doell, Giorgio Estephan) 24:13
The rookies from Team Red and Team White met in the second scrimmage of the day and they traded goals making it a 2-2 game after Reid Nemeth banked his 2nd of the game. Team Red would get their first goal of the game thanks to an unassisted marker by Colton Sandboe at the 16:38 mark. Team White would tie things up again, but in the final 2 ½ minutes it was all Team Red who would tie the game at 4 sending it to a shootout. The lone goal would come off the stick of Zack Finlay giving Team White a 5-4 win.
1. Team White: Zack Finlay (Thomas Lenchyshyn) 1:38
2. Team Red: Reid Nemeth (Jesse Zaharichuk) 5:52
3. Team White: Colby Chartier (Bryton Sayers) 9:34
4. Team Red: Reid Nemeth (Cole Kapak, Tyler Wong) 14:15
5. Team Red: Colton Sandboe (unassisted) 16:38
6. Team White: Josh Giacomin (Kody White, Thomas Lenchyshyn) 22:30
7. Team White: Josh Giacomin (Colt Conrad, Braden Ruff) 22:37
8. Team Red: Tyler Wong (Ryan Pilon) 23:40
Reid Duke – Miss
Colt Conrad – Miss
Zach Befus – Miss
Zack Finlay – GOAL
Giorgio Estephan – Miss
Zachary Goberis – Miss
Tyler Wong – Miss
Ryan Pilon - Miss
Sam McKechnie scored a hat trick to help lead Team B/White to a 4-2 victory in their first game, but this time it would be the Blomqvist brothers who would score a pair of goals in leading Team White to another “w” over Team A/Red. Russ Maxwell (Team Red) scored the first goal, but three straight by their opponents helped lead them to a 3-2 win despite another late goal from Maxwell. Final shots were 32-20 for the Red team.
Team Red: Russ Russ Maxwell (Dan Johnston)
2. Team White: Michael Sofillas (Spencer Galbraith)
3. Team White: Albin Blomqvist (Craig Leverton)
4. Team White: Axel Blomqvist (Graham Hood)
5. Team Red: Russ Maxwell (Jamal Watson, Dan Johnston)
Team Blue and Team White closed out the final scrimmage of the day. Jackson McKinstry scored first for the Blue team giving them a 1-0 lead after the first period. Blue also narrowly outshot White 12-11. A trio of goals in the 2nd period with Canes Bantam picks from the last 2 years scoring all the goals. Bryton Sayers pulled the White team even just 3 minutes into the 2nd but an unassisted marker by Cole Plotnikoff gave Team Blue the lead while Kolten Olynek added some insurance at the 14 minute mark. Team Blue with a 3-1 win even though they were narrowly outshot 25-21.
1.Team Blue: Jackson McKinstry 17:512.
2. Team White: Bryton Sayers (Reid Duke, Devin Ruff) 3:23
3. Team Blue: Cole Plotnikoff (unassisted) 13:39
4. Team Blue: Kolten Olynek 14:50
The teams are now done being separated into rookies and vets. For the final three days of camp, the players will all be combined and split into 4 teams that will play 2 games each day over the next two days before the 3rd Place and Alumni Championship game on Sunday.
Be sure to visit www.lethbridgehurricanes.com and follow us on Facebook and Twitter for daily reports from Hurricanes Training Camp and the preseason which is proudly sponsored by ENMAX. Fans are encouraged to attend camp to get their first look at the 2012-2013 Lethbridge Hurricanes. The Canes exhibition schedule starts on September 5th (vs. Calgary in Taber) before the Canes host Medicine Hat at the ENMAX Centre on September 12th. Tickets for both games in Taber and Lethbridge are available through their Minor Hockey Associations.
(Esther Madziya, Hurricanes Media Relations)