Saturday 3 July 2010

What a day is was Saturday in Lethbridge as Kris Versteeg brought the Stanley Cup home!

I had the privilege to have my picture taken with the Stanley Cup Champ before the literally hundreds and hundreds of people got a chance to do the same. I spent my afternoon on-location at Murray Chevrolet where Versteeg took three hours out his time with the Cup to give locals a chance to see the trophy and get a picture.

It was estimated that about 2000 people got an opportunity Saturday afternoon to see the Cup, everyone from little babies to the elderly in wheel chair came out to part of the day. A few people even brought their dogs to get into the photos. I must say, the whole photo op thing was extremely organized. Even one of the guys I spoke with from the Hockey Hall of Fame said the people in Lethbridge did a bang-up job putting the Stanley Cup photo session together in a very short period of time and it went off without a hitch!

There were hundreds of people in the line-up, as far as the eye could see. Some arrived as early as 8am to make sure they would get a chance to see the Cup. The doors didn't open till 12:30. I was pretty fortunate as I had my broadcast location five feet away from the trophy. It was a pretty special day!

I don't think I've seen so many people smile in a three hour span! I was truly a special day for Lethbridge hockey fans. Sure, everyone came out to see the Cup and and get a picture with Kris, but the real special part was actually getting to touch the thing! Kris kept telling people, "Go ahead touch it! That what this is all about."

Kris Versteeg is one of the most down to earth, humble young men you will ever meet. The fans who came out, some waiting four to six hours in the the line-up just to see him and the Stanley Cup. Everyone said it was worth it. The line-up literally snaked around the parking lot at the dealership. It certainly was a sight to behold! People wearing every type of hockey jersey you could think of, as well as some very excited and optimistic Toronto Maple Leafs fans!

Money that was raised during the Cup viewing will be matched by Murray Chevrolet and then Kris Versteeg will match the total amount. All the donations will go to Lethbridge Minor Hockey and KidSport.

I tip my hat Kris and his family for doing what they did and allowing the public a chance to come out and see the Cup. A class act no doubt. Just to see the look on some of the young kids faces when they put a hand on the trophy. It was something special. Even for this kid at heart!

Thanks,
Pat

(Photo above by Jim McNally)

This blog post is brought to you by www.clearlylethbridge.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment