The Lethbridge Hurricanes are looking for an experienced Communications and Public Relations Professional.
The organization is committed to being best in class at all things we do and with that comes a responsibility to effectively communicate with all stakeholder groups. Critical to the success of any leading brand is proactive, innovative, contemporary and appropriate communications. The successful candidate will have a strong background in media, communications and public relations, web site management and social media understanding.
Joining our organization at this time, the Communications and P.R. Manager will enjoy the privilege of establishing this brand as a first class WHL franchise. The Hurricanes Business team is moving into a new building; with a new look team and a new mindset. The mindset is to constantly look to improve processes, add value to stakeholders and enjoy what we do. Its’ hard work, with long hours, but if you love sports, have a strong background in communications and contemporary media, this may be the opportunity for you.
The Communications and P.R. professional is a critical contributor to strengthening the brand and supporting the business plan. Game nights can be long, seasonal spikes in activation needs to be managed and being nimble is a definite asset.
If you want to join an important local organization, one that contributes socially, economically and culturally – please send us your letter of interest and background details by Sunday Sept 25th at email@example.com. Candidates of interest will be contacted.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Develop and execute strategies for year round positive media coverage for team, management, and overall business initiatives – both traditional and new media platforms
• Facilitate and manage all media relations and communications needs of all Hurricanes personnel
• Support visiting team media requirements as is reasonable
• Manage preparation and oversight for Hurricane press conferences including messaging, scripts for spokespersons, on-site logistics, and post-conference coverage
• Prepare all communications documents related to announcement and/or breaking news, including press releases, talking points, and fan/partner communications
• Provide daily support for Hurricanes coaches and players including attending all team home games
• Provide key communication points to staff
Game Day Media Functions
Gather and produce information for game day media packages
Facilitate and provide all resources for media lounge and media lounge host
Set up press box according to WHL media guidelines
Ensure camera, crew, equipment are properly set up for WHL Neulion Webcast
Organize press box to WHL Specifications so as to provide for all working media members including visiting team media, WHL officials and visiting team coaches
Ensure a positive working environment for all members of the media while ensuring media resources are being used as efficiently as possible.
Ensure all pre/post game league functions are seen to including the finalizing and faxing of the game sheet to the WHL, a DVD of game produced and sent to league, double checking and uploading of stats to online league stat website
• Plan and manage pre-during and post-game appearances – media, intermission interviews and post-game autograph station
• Manage media access to all team personnel
• Prepare spokespersons as needed on a wide range of issues; serve as organization spokesperson as designated
• Develop a crisis communications plan and manage execution of communications strategies in response to potential crises
• Work closely with broadcast partners to drive positive coverage and to increase exposure
• Maintain daily and weekly communication with WHL communications department and support League media and community programs – including required weekly reports to the WHL - Provide Weekly Report for WHL league updates every Monday as per WHL requirements
• Provide the WHL with all league requirements and publications. ie. Schedule, Media Guide, Staff Directory etc.
• Coordinate and produce all media information for other teams while the team is on the road
• Develop and strengthen relationships with sports and non-sports reporters and editors
• Develop and manage execution of communications plan
• Manage production of all Hurricanes electronic, digital and web based publications
• Develop and maintain content on Hurricanes Website
• Create and develop unique content for the Hurricanes Social Media Initiatives – taking advantage of no cost advertising opportunities
• Input and update data for WHL League stat Website including rosters, headshots and game Statistics
• Maintain a Season Ticket Holder database and provide information to key stakeholders
• To provide website game information as well as work with Marketing and Community Relations Staff to provide other content as needed.
• Organize player appearances outside the arena; Canes in Schools, Hospitals, work places etc
• On rare occasions, travel with team as required to away games including pre-season, regular season and playoffs
Qualifications and Requirements:
• 5+ years of public relations and/or communications experience
• Solid record of developing and managing strategic communications strategies and garnering media coverage
• Proven relationship building skills; positive and outgoing personality
• Strong and diverse writing skills (AP writing style and feature writing)
• Available to work evenings and weekends
• Bachelor’s degree or diploma with relevant work experience.
• This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Business Operations Manager. Full employee benefits package.