The 2012 Lethbridge Hurricanes Training Camp at the ENMAX Centre kicked off with the first scrimmage of the day between the ’96 and ’97-born players.
The Canes 2011 1st round draft pick (5th overall) Reid Duke had a goal and an assist, while Devin Ruff added a pair of assists in the win for Team White. 2012 6th round draft pick Brandon Kennedy opened the scoring just 1:33 into the game and before the end of the first period, the Canes 3rd round Bantam pick Colt Conrad put home a backhander from the slot for a 2-0 lead after the first period. In the second period Ruff would assist Duke to make it a 3-goal edge for Team White but six minutes later, the Canes 2nd round pick (25th overall) last year Kolten Olynek would spoil the shutout with a penalty shot to make it a 3-1 game.
1. Team White: Brandon Kennedy (Devin Ruff, Reid Duke) 1:33
2. Team White: Colt Conrad (unassisted) 18:15
3. Team White: Reid Duke (Devin Ruff) 10:20
4. Team Blue: Kolten Olynek (PS) 16:50
Practices and goalie sessions took over the ENMAX for the mid-day before scrimmages resumed early in the afternoon with Team Red taking on Team Blue. The Hurricanes top draft picks for 2011 and 2012 (Ryan Pilon and Giorgio Estephan) were among the players on Team Red and they scored early and often on the way to an 8-1 win. Not even a minute into the game, Tyler Wong (2011 – 5th round, 101st overall) gave the Red squad a 1-0 lead. They’d make it a 2-goal lead before Wong would add his second of the game unassisted making it 3-0 after the first. Estephan would add two more goals in the second and with the game 7-0, the Canes 7th round pick Josh Hayward would spoil the shutout with his first goal. Josh Read rounded out the scoring for the win. Estephan finished with 6 points (2G, 4A) while Wong had 3 points (2G, 1A).
1. Team Red: Tyler Wong (Mik Doell, Giorgio Estephan) :52
2. Team Red: Mik Doell (Andrew Perry, Giorgio Estephan) 12:39
3. Team Red: Tyler Wong (unassisted) 16:19
4. Team Red: Giorgio Estephan (unassisted) 1:20
5. Team Red: Giorgio Estephan (PS)
6. Team Red: Jesse Zaharichuk (Giorgio Estephan) 10:23
7. Team Red: Zachary Goberis (Tyler Wong, Andrew Perry) 11:18
8. Team Blue: Josh Hayward (Roman Melzer) 15:51
9. Team Red: Josh Read (Giorgio Estephan) 18:49
The Hurricanes veterans squared off in the 3rd game of the afternoon with Sam McKechnie, Michael Sofillas and Axel Blomqvist combining for 7 points in the 4-2 win for Team B (White). McKechnie led the way with the hat trick and he opened the scoring just 1:32 into the game. He would add his second of the game less than four minutes later while Jamal Watson and Andrew Johnson would score in the loss for Team A (Red). Jonny Hogue would play the 1st period and make 9 saves on the 11 shots that he faced while Christopher Tai saved 8 of 9. Tanner Kovacs and Ryan Ferguson played the second period; final shots on goal favored Team A (Red) 23-20.
1. Team White: Sam McKechnie (Michael Sofillas, Axel Blomqvist) 1:32
2. Team White: Sam McKechnie (Axel Blomqvist) 4:12
3. Team Red: Jamal Watson (Dan Johnston) 17:34
4. Team White: Sean Sayers (Daniel Sosa) 1:22
5. Team Red: Andrew Johnson (Brady Ramsay) 4:40
6. Team White: Sam McKechnie (Michael Sofillas, Graham Hood) 12:42
The day ended with the Team Red and White Rookies taking to the ice with both looking to win their second game of the day. Reid Nemeth (2011 9th round, 180th overall) would score the first of his two goals at the seven minute mark of the opening period. Nemeth would chip in an assist on the second goal for Team Red when Jesse Zaharichuk would beat Alexandre Pelletier. The Red squad would score a pair of goals two minutes apart near the end of the first period when Tyler Wong and Mik Doell would make it a 4-0 lead. Shots on goal favored Team Red 18-7 after the opening frame. Reid Duke would get Team White on board in the 2nd period with a penalty shot at the 1:30 mark to make it a 4-1 game, but 15 seconds later Andrew Perry made it 5-1. A late goal by Colt Conrad for Team White would make it 6-2 but that’s as close as they’d get as Team Red remained perfect after the final buzzer sounded. Final shots on goal were 34-20 for Team Red.
1. Team Red: Reid Nemeth (Mik Doell, Logan Fauber) 7:00
2. Team Red: Jesse Zaharichuk (Reid Nemeth) 12:40
3. Team Red: Tyler Wong (Giorgio Estephan) 22:30
4. Team Red: Mik Doell (Cale Brown) 24:25
5. Team White: Reid Duke (PS) 1:30
6. Team Red: Andrew Perry (Zachary Goberis) 1:45
7. Team Red: Colton Sandboe (unassisted) 3:09
8: Team White: Colt Conrad (Reid Duke, Tyler Rohl) 12:48
(From Esther Madziya, Hurricanes Media Relations)