Day four of Lethbridge Hurricanes Training Camp saw a bevy of talent as well as set the table for the Championship final on Sunday morning at 11 AM.
After playing 4 games apiece Team Pushor (3-1) will take on Team Wright (2-2) in the final of the Training Camp Tournament. Team Pushor has been led by veteran 20 year old Cam Braes and rookies Sam McKechnie, Macoy Erkamps and Lenny Hackman while the Blues of Team Wright have been led by Veteran Austin Fyten, Brady Ramsay and Russ Maxwell along with newcomers Tyler Wong, Remi Laurencelle and Joel Topping.
Here’s a recap of Saturday's action from the Adam’s Ice Centre – 11 AM start Sunday for the Championship game.
Team Seabrook (White) vs. Team Pushor (Red) - Team Pushor wins 7-4
Both these teams looked primed for a grudge match after a rough one yesterday and Team Seabrook pushed the pace early on notching the first two tallies off the sticks of Brody Sutter and Clayton Tait. With both teams entering the game 1-1 and the prospect of a third place practice for the losing team tomorrow Team Pushor showed some urgency firing back with five unanswered from all rookies - Mckechnie, Harper, Hardy, Hirose and Balog. Jamal Watson tallied for his third game in a row for Team Seabrook but Pushor would once again "push" back with a goal from another rookie Kaede Norlin to give them a commanding 6-3 lead entering the second half. Both teams buckled down for the second half as both Watson and Balog would tally again for their respective sides and Lethbridge native Jonny Hogue posted a second one goal performance with 20 saves on 21 shots for the winning Team Pushor. Team Push would carry a 2-1 record forward into the evening game while Team Seabrook would be playing for their championship lives in the tough back to back afternoon game.
1. SEABROOK WHITE - Brody Sutter (unassisted)
2. SEABROOK WHITE - Clayton Tait (Sutter)
1. PUSHOR RED - Sam Mckechnie (Hood, Balog)
2. PUSHOR RED - Harrison Harper (Braes)
3. PUSHOR RED - Mack Hardy (Braes)
4. PUSHOR RED - Taro Hirose (Braes)
5. PUSHOR RED - Tayler Balog
3. SEABROOK WHITE - Jamal Watson (unassisted)
6. PUSHOR RED - Kaede Norlin (McKechnie, Balog)
4. SEABROOK WHITE - Jamal Watson (Amson, Thorimbert)
7. PUSHOR RED - Tayler Balog (Hood)
Team Seabrook (White) vs. Team Wright (Blue) - Team Wright wins 5-3
In their second game of the day and a must win game at that Team Seabrook showed up with their backs against the wall looking to stave off elimination from the tourney. A closely fought and low scoring first period resulted in Team Seabrook carrying a 1-0 lead into the second half off a goal by Calgary native Graydon Robinson. Team Seabrook then added to their lead in the second half with a goal from Top 5 pick Reid Duke who would finish the game with 2 points (1g,1A). Team Wright quickly turned things around and pushed the pace on Team Seabrook who was playing their second game of the day. The Blues notched four unanswered - 1 unassisted from Russ Maxwell (who would finish with a goal and an assist) and goals from Remi Laurencelle, Sam Young and Reid Nemeth. Team Seabrook made it close with a pretty goal from Jamal Watson, who rushed the puck down the right side and sniped a top corner shot to pull his team to 4-3. Watson tallied at least a goal in each of his team’s tournament games and continues to look like one of the steals of the 2010 draft where he was selected in the fifth round. But in the end a late empty netter by Austin Fyten would sink the Team Seabrook Championship hopes.
1. SEABROOK WHITE - Graydon Robinson (Thorimbert, Duke)
2. SEABROOK WHITE - Reid Duke (Macpherson, Thorimbert)
1. WRIGHT BLUE - Russ Maxwell (unassisted)
2. WRIGHT BLUE - Remi Laurencelle (Pilon)
3. WRIGHT BLUE - Sam Young (Laurencelle, Foyle)
4. WRIGHT BLUE - Reid Nemeth (Foyle)
3. SEABROOK WHITE - Jamal Watson (unassisted)
5. WRIGHT BLUE - Austin Fyten (Wong, Maxwell)
Team Pushor (Red) vs. Team Wright (Blue) - Team Pushor wins 8-5
Team Pushor sent a message to Team Wright in what was a preview game for tomorrow's final as the "Reds" notched an 8-5 win over the "Blues". Russ Maxwell showed off some of the talents that garnered him praise as the Hurricanes Rookie of the Year last season as he led Team Wright with a four point night (1G,3A) in the loss. But it was rookie Sam McKechnie who continued to shine with a four point (1G,3A) night of his own. These two teams will lineup for the final time as adversaries in tomorrow's Championship final as Team Seabrook's 1-3 record placed them in the consolation practice in the morning.
1. WRIGHT BLUE - Russ Maxwell (unassisted) 10:00
1. PUSHOR RED - Lenny Hackman (Hirose) 12:45
2. PUSHOR RED - Juraj Bezuch (Poirier, M.Watson) 13:58
3. PUSHOR RED - Mack Hardy (McKechnie) 18:40
4. PUSHOR RED - Trevor Poirier (McKechnie) 23:45
5. PUSHOR RED - Sam Mckechnie (M.Watson, Balog) 28:00
6. PUSHOR RED - Tyler Kizuik (Bezuch, McKechnie) 2:30
7. PUSHOR RED - Macoy Erkamps (Braes) 9:20
2. WRIGHT BLUE - Craig Leverton (Maxwell) 12:55
3. WRIGHT BLUE - Tyler Wong (Maxwell) 13:50
4. WRIGHT BLUE - Brady Ramsay (Maxwell) 18:45
8. PUSHOR RED - Cam Braes (unassisted) 20:35
5. WRIGHT BLUE - Remi Laurencelle (unassisted) 32:15
The final day of camp Sunday promises to be a great one as Team Wright and Team Pushor will battle it out for the Hurricanes Training Camp Tourney Championship. Canes Camp will also see some familiar faces around the rink as former Lethbridge Hurricanes Carter Bancks, Mike Wuchterl and Mitch Versteeg are expected to be on hand as special guest coaches for the Championship Game.
(Report from Ryan Ohashi, Hurricanes Manager of Communications & Events)
This blog post is brought to you by www.clearlylethbridge.com.