Friday 9 July 2010

Canes' Alumni Golf Tourney a Success

The Lethbridge Hurricanes held their 4th annual Hurricanes/Broncos Alumni golf tournament Saturday at Paradise Canyon.

About 60 golfers took part in the event, including yours truly. It was a fantastic day and very hot with temperatures into the 30's. I'm certainly not complaining despite my burned arms. It's about time we got some heat in southern Alberta this summer. I have to tip my hat to Dick Gibson and his crew who put the Alumni tourney together. It was a great day overall and by the looks of it, everyone had a great time.

Two of the alumni that came out and took part were former Captain Carter Bancks and star forward Zach Boychuk. I had a chance to talk with both while on the driving range before the tournament started. Bancks told me he's attending the Calgary Flames development camp at the end of the this month. Bancks of course is already in the Flames system as he was signed to an entry level contract with the Abbotsford Heat late last season, the Calgary Flames farm team in the AHL. Bancks told me he's certainly looking forward to that opportunity. Bancks says he's been living in Calgary for the past few months.

As for Boychuk, he's hoping to crack the Carolina Hurricanes line-up this season. Boychuk says the NHL team seems to be going in a younger direction and feels he has a good shot at making the team this year. By the way, Boychuk and Bancks are pretty darn good golfers too! Best of luck to them both.

Before that, I had a chance to meet and chat a bit with the Canes' new Business Manager Jim Bradley. If there are a couple of words to describe him after our short 10 minute conversation in the blazing heat it would have to be "Go-Getter". Jim gave me that impression right off the bat, that this is guy plans to do whatever needs to be done to market and grow this Hurricanes franchise right now. I certainly like his enthusiasm and spark that's for sure. Even Hurricanes G.M. & Head Coach Rich Preston used those same words to describe Jim to me later on in the evening. It seems like Bradley might be a very good fit with the Hurricanes organization.

This blogger, by the way is taking a little vacation time for the next week. If there happens to be breaking news with the Hurricanes I'll make sure I post it right away, other than that I'm Saskatchewan bound and we'll talk in a few weeks.

Thanks,
Pat

1 comment:

  1. The concept of this event is awesome, however, 60 golfers is a pretty poor turn-out for any fund-raising golf tournament; especially at Paradise Canyon.

    I am not sure of what the goals of the tournament organizers are, but if the Canes are going to continue with this tourney, and if one of the goals is to involve more of the community in the team while raising money, they need to consider a weekend date, and/or a more reasonable fee. Tournament sponsors will be more easily attracted if their target audience is maxed out.

    I know that although I would love to attend again, but I (most fans??) cannot afford to take a day off without pay, then spend $250 (PLUS tournament fund-raising donations)

    I would be willing to bet that if they held the event on a Saturday, and reduced the entry to something a bit more manageable for the average-Joe minor hockey supporter (ie $150-$200), registration would approach the usual 144 tourney maximum, and the tournament proceeds would likely double. - My 4 cents. Richie.

    ReplyDelete