Friday 22 May 2009

Rich Sutter Wants Canes' GM Job

There's been a lot chit chat around Lethbridge the past week or so about who might fill the now vacant General Manager's position with the Hurricanes. Well, you can add one more name to the mix, Richie Sutter. Sutter told me yesterday that he's officially running for the job. Here's the transcript from a sit down interview I had with the former NHLer and Broncos/Hurricanes Hall of Famer:

Pat: Why have you decided to run for G.M. of the Canes'?

Rich: Well, first and foremost because I care. I care about our community and I feel I have a responsibility to the people here in Lethbridge and Southern Alberta. Since January when I came on as a consultant and worked with the hockey operations part of the club, there's been a lot of sleepless nights and concerns about the organization and where we need to have this organization put back to. I want to be the guy to be given the opportunity. I think my experience speaks for itself in the hockey world. I want to be here, very simply put.

Pat: Have you told the Hurricanes Board of Directors of your intentions to seek the G.M. position?

Rich: I would hope they know. I mean they've got my resume. I had to track people around the world to do that, but you know that's part of the business and that's the way things go. Obviously I know with my references, I know I've got a lot of people in the hockey world that are going to back me up on this. I just hope that the people in charge here will see that and give me the opportunity. I do know one thing, that if given the opportunity I will not disappoint anybody.

Pat: Given the fact you live in Lethbridge and have a history with the organization in the past, do the Hurricanes mean something special to you?

Rich: Well, I've certainly grown on it in the last few months since coming on board in January and I just feel it's time. We've got people in our community that our hockey people, not just myself that we can build a team around in terms of hockey operations staff. I think people need to be given that opportunity. The experience and leadership I know I can bring to the group and make an environment that kids want to come to, that office staff want to be part of. It just tells me how much I want to be part of it. That's why I'm here.

So there you go. Take that as Richie's official announcement that he's running for the job. That would make at least two candidates I know of. The other of course is Brad Robson, the Hurricanes current assistant G.M. and Director of Scouting. He's told me he's running as well. The Hurricanes Board of Directors plans to make a decision on the new General Manager before July.

Thanks,
Pat

2 comments:

  1. Unless Scotty Bowman puts his name in the mix what does the board have to think about, (other than who is catering the next meeting)? If Rich is not hired the Canes can kiss my family's 4 season tickets goodbye. Who is more qualified and cares about the team more? Going into a long rebuilding phase we need a strong, connected individual who knows hockey from the bottom to the top. With Rich we are not getting an individual, we are getting a network of hockey knowledge and contacts. Also maybe parents and kids would not mind coming to Lethbridge to play. It would be nice to get some class and respect back into the organization. At least the Stasiuk era did not last as long as the Ballard and Sinden eras in the NHL. If he lands a job managing a broomball team I will be shocked.

    Sku

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep hearing people say that Rich Sutter should be hired as GM because he is the only smart choice. What exactly are his credentials when it comes to running a hockey club? I know he played and he scouted for a couple of years but that's about it. Therefore what makes him so qualified? Is it simply because of his name? Is it simply because most all of his brothers are still involved in hockey so he has someone to call and ask advice? I am not trying to sound ignorant here. I simply do not understand why everyone thinks he is the best choice.

    ReplyDelete